Report a Problem

If you have a problem it is likely we can help, either directly through our powers and responsibilities as a Town Council, or indirectly by helping you to contact the appropriate authority. If you are unsure who to get in touch with or how to go about getting something done, we'll be happy to advise you.

The following should help to give you some idea of who is reponsible for sorting out the problem you have. 



There are three tiers of local Government which serve residents in the county of Leicestershire



The County Council, based in Glenfield is the last tier before national government. The Council’s duties and services are managed by the 55 Councillors (known within the Council as Members). Its responsibilities include:

  • Education
  • Social Services
  • Fire Brigade
  • Emergency Planning
  • Highways, Streetlights and Road Safety
  • Rights of Way
  • The Environment, Waste Disposal and Mineral Sites
  • Libraries and Museums

In Leicestershire there are seven district and borough councils: Blaby, Charnwood, Harborough, Hinckley &Bosworth, Melton, North West Leicestershire and Oadby & Wigston.

Visit the Leicestershire County Council website –



The District Council has 34 elected Councillors representing 16 electoral wards. Its responsibilities include:

  • Building Regulations
  • Car Parks
  • Cemeteries
  • Concessionary Bus Fares
  • Council Tax and Council Tax Benefit
  • Social Housing and Housing Benefit
  • Economic Development
  • Elections
  • Food Safety and Hygiene
  • Licensing
  • Local Plans and Planning Applications
  • Markets
  • Pest Control
  • Refuse Collection
  • Sports Centres
  • Street Cleaning
  • Trading Standards
  • Tree Preservation

Visit Hinckley and Boswroth Borough Council –



At the grass roots level are town and parish councils including Earl Shilton Town Council which has 14 Councillors representing 4 Wards.

The Town Council acts as a consultee and lobbying force with both the County and District Councils, putting forward the wishes and needs of the local community.

The list of the Statutory Spending Powers of Parish Councils gives examples of things that parish councils can do with legislation that provides the power to act and therefore to spend money on.

Responsibilities of Parish and Town Councils include:

  • Allotments
  • Cemeteries
  • Footpaths
  • Recreation

and any other functions delegated by the County Council or District/Borough Councils.

read more about us on our Town Council information page of this site




© 2016 - Clerk: Mark Jackson, Public Library, Wood Street, LE9 7NE